Thursday, November 10, 2011

Long Time No Post!!!





Well, it has been over a month since I have posted on our blog.  Obviously, not too many exciting things have happened that I thought I should pass along!  When you spend over 6 weeks at "home", you tend to get into a pattern and routine that becomes very much the same.  We have been busy with my parents, our children, grandchildren, and friends.  Lots of good and fun things, but we still miss our time on the road in Willie!!!

Another reason we stayed home, was a medical issue I had encountered and I needed to see several doctors to decide how to treat the problem.  To make a long story short, I had a growth removed from my bladdar 2 weeks ago, and the pathology report showed that the growth had some Stage 1 cancer cells.  The good news is that I am now cancer free since the growth was removed and the cancer had not spread to the lining of the bladder or any tissue around the growth.  I will be followed closely for the next several years to be certain that no more growths appear, and if they do, they would be treated quickly.  Not looking forward to ongoing cytoscopics, but no prep is needed for them and the procedure is basically pain free.  So, I am thankful that the Dr.'s and I took the 2 symptoms I had seriously and found the source of the problem.  This whole thing was rather frightening since my father was diagnosised with bladder cancer 20 years ago and had has not had a bladder for over 15 years.  Scary stuff!  But, he is still living and doing well.  We are blessed!  Just a side note.  Many people are not aware that many, many cases of bladder cancer are the result of smoking.  We all know that smoking can cause lung cancer, but few are aware of how many smokers end up with bladder cancer.  I was never a smoker, but the Drs. say 2nd hand smoke can also be a factor. I find that interesting!  On to more fun things!

Since we are home, we purchased our Sea Eagle infloatable kayak.  On Tuesday, it was 70 degress in PA (WOW), so we decided to have our friends, Sam and Kathy join us for the day and go to a recreation area nearby to test the kayak, enjoy a picnic lunch, and then take a bike ride.  It was a perfect day.  We are all impressed with the construction of the inflatable kayak, the sturdiness of it, etc.  Unfortunately, we were unable to get the skeg in place, so Ken and I had one heck of a time getting it to stay on a straight course.  I guess the skeg is necessary for easy paddleing and to keep it on course.  We are talking to the folks we bought it from to get the problem solved.  We think it will be a great option for us, but we need more information.

  
Removing the Kayak from its bag!


Inflated and ready to go!







Carrying to the water for
its maiden voyage!

Rowing away but spent alot
of time going in circles. 
Need the skeg!



Returned safe and sound
and DRY!


After the kayaking experience, we enjoyed our picnic lunch and then our 6 mile bike ride on a beautiful trail along a stream.  What a fun and beautiful day spent outside in November!




Walking across the stream on a fallen tree!
Abit of a challenge!

Can't believe we won't be back in Willie till mid January when we head to Florida until the end of March.  Way toooo long to be off the road!
























No comments:

Post a Comment