Thursday, April 20, 2017

Ken Begins His Volunteer Job!

On Wednesday morning I made us flax pancakes for breakfast and put a note in Ken's "lunchbox" before he left at 8 for his first day of volunteer work at the Mennonite Central Committee.  I could tell he was a bit "anxious", because he really hasn't worked for anyone for years, but he was excited.  He has been wanting to find a job of "significance" for quite a while, but with all of our travels the last 2 years, it has been tough to get involved.  We plan on being around the next 6 months (a few camping trips in the area) so it was the perfect time for him to give a job a try.

I decided that I will make Wednesdays my crafting day, making things to sell at our craft shows.  Besides, because we only have one car, I will be "house bound", and that is fine with me!  I can take him to work if I need the car, but I really don't plan to do that!

Before I got started on my seaglass pictures, I called Noela to see how life is going in Quebec.  All is well and they had a great Easter with their family. Ernie is busy helping his son on the horse farm, which he totally enjoys. They are planning a road trip to visit their children that do not live close by! It was good to talk to her again!  I also chatted with Cindy regarding our camping schedule for this summer.  We hope to camp together at Chesapeake in July and also some days in Hershey!

Ken got home around 3:30 after a tiring, but good day.  He helped bail 2,00 lbs. of paper, 1,000 lbs. of clothing, and 1,000 lbs. of cardboard.  They collect recyclable items, bail them, and then sell the bundles and use the money to help people around the world.  He was on his feet all day, so it will be interesting to see how his back and feet will feel tomorrow.

We took a walk after I got my activity suit on and I have to say it was a very uncomfortable walk for me.  My hurting back and hip made is hard to walk. Since the suit is trying to change my posture as well as the curvature of my spine (very minimal), I guess I should expect some discomfort.  It is a lot like having physical therapy and it will take time!

After dinner, I starting painting a coconut fish and we watched some TV.  We were in bed by 9:30.

Today, Thursday, Ken left to have breakfast with Gary and I spent the morning getting ready, making breakfast, and then dusting.  It was time to clean the apartment.  Ken was back by 10:15 and we decided to go for a walk.  So on went the activity suit (we are able to get it on rather quickly now) and off we went.  It was a much better walk for me today!  The pain was a lot less and the weather was perfect.  I hope this is a sign of things to come - improvement!   Ken was also pleased that his back and feet seemed to being doing well after his working yesterday!

We ate lunch outside and then visited mom and dad from 1 to 5 playing 5 games of pinochle.  The women won the 1st 3 games and then the men "imitated our play" and won the next 2.  We have to be more secretive with our strategy!  

Ken took another walk before dinner, but I decided one walk a day for me right now is enough and that was what the Dr. had said.  I need to listen!

After dinner, I worked on this blog, Ken did some reading and I spent some time painting.  Tomorrow looks like a rather low key day!

No comments:

Post a Comment