Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Tuesday - Florida, Here We Come!

Ken had gotten awake at 11:15 and looked at the clock wrong thinking it was 1:15. He thought it was about time for the alarm to go off so he would stay awake.  I turned over and he said it was about time to get up and I immediately stated it was only 11:15.  I went right back to sleep, but Ken had a rough next 2 hours!

We got up at 1:45 and after getting ready and loading some last minute items we were on our way by 2:30.  It felt mighty cold, only 26 degrees so we were dressed warmly.  By 6:30 we were having breakfast at our favorite Denny's on the south side of Richmond.  Up until that time, we had experienced very little traffic!  (Do you think it had anything to do with the time we went around Baltimore and DC?)

Traffic remained rather light until we were 1/2 way through South Carolina.  At that point there were several accidents on I-95 and traffic was bumper to bumper.  Goggle told us to get off to save time and that was the right thing to do.  Unfortunately we had to get back on where there was still lots of congestion and it only got better when got to Georgia and there were 3 lanes of traffic instead of 2!  Hallelujah!  We decided to keep driving as long as we both felt good about it!

All went well until we got on 310 in Florida and again there was a lot of traffic, but it kept moving.  Google informed us of very heavy, slow traffic on I-75, so we stayed on 301 a bit longer than usual, but still got into the bumper to bumper traffic on 75.  It took us 1 hour to go 30 miles in a 70 mph speed zone.  

Long story short, we made it to Wilbur and our winter CG at 10:45 after almost 20 hours of being on the road.  We did have a breakfast and lunch stop (both very quick!) and several bathroom and gas stop (usually combined), but no dinner except for an ice cream sundae at McDonald's (we go all out!!!) around 9:15.  So, we were driving most of the time.  Ken does such a good job and I only drove a total of about 2 1/2 hours - he is quite the guy!

We were so thankful to be at our winter home safe and sound and thrilled to be able to sleep in Wilbur!  Needless to say, we did unload most of the things in the car but the bags and boxes sat in the LR until morning.

It was 62 degrees when we arrived, great temperatures for these folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment