Friday, September 21, 2018

Friday - Back in Hershey

Ken was up extremely early to prepare for his breakfast with his Celebrate Recovery sponsor!  I was up rather early too and did my devotions.  We watched the 1st 20 minutes of the morning news before Ken left for his breakfast.  I did some work on our blog and then showered and got ready for the day!

After making myself breakfast, it was time to do my favorite chore - clean Wilbur!  I shouldn't complain, because it really doesn't take very long, but I wanted to do a thorough job.  So, I scoured the bathroom, dusted, and washed all the cabinets and dashboard area.  When finished I called Joyce in Florida and we had a very nice chat.  Ken returned around 11 while Joyce and I were on the phone.  

He had gone to Costco after his breakfast and while waiting for the store to open, he had a phone conversation with his brother, Paul, who is celebrating his birthday today.

Ken vacuumed Wilbur (that is tough job for my back) and then he spent time checking Wilbur's 3 batteries - 2 of them needed a "drink"!  I washed up the floors.

After lunch, we left around 1 and Ken took a nap in the CRV while I spent some time in Hobby Lobby, a store that I really enjoy!  From there we drove about 20 minutes to the Brethren Relief Auction that is happening today and tomorrow.  We used to be members at the Ephrata Church of the Brethren so we looked forward to seeing some friends.  The Auction offers the sale of fresh produce, lots of baked items, other food treats, a craft show, coin auction, silent auction, several other auctions, including one of homemade quilts.  All the profits go to the Brethren Disaster Relief.  It is held annually and draws quite a crowd.  Over 30 years ago, our Sunday School Class wanted to contribute in some way, and since Ken and I had our candy business at that time, we volunteered to purchase candy for resale and then the class weighed and bagged the different types of candy in varying amounts so each bag could be sold for $1.00.  A member of our Sunday School class bought our business when we sold it in 1989 and has carried on the tradition every year since then.  Good to see!  We had a great time talking to numerous members of the class.  We chatted a long time with Sam and Kathy with whom we did many camping adventures that created many wonderful memories!

We left there around 5:45 and came back to the CG.  I made us pulled chicken wraps and baked beans for dinner while Ken studied our route for our trip to Mystic Seaport on Sunday.  We also pulled out the Rand McNally GPS and charged it for the trip.  Always good to have a back-up for Goggle Maps on our phones.

We played 2 rounds of Hand and Foot and Ken won both of them.  I think we will finish the last 2 rounds in the near future.  We also packed some items to take back home that we will not need on the next "leg" of our journey.  It will be quite a bit cooler in Maine and Cape Cod, so some shorts and sleeveless tops will not be needed.  We will be bringing back some long jeans and long sleeved shirts, and maybe even a sweater and jacket!

I worked on this blog and by 9:45 we were on our way to bed.  We are planning to go to our apartment around noon tomorrow so we can "pack and repack" and I can do some laundry.  Ken also has his Step Study from 3 to 5.  Then we are looking forward to a fun evening with Gary and Marcia who will come to our house for pizza and to play cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment