Thursday, August 16, 2018

A Special Birthday!

Ken was up very early and was done with his morning routine when I appeared at 7:45 - Wow!  We decided to have a relaxing few hours, so I did my exercises and then devotions.  Ken gave me a card with a beautiful and meaningful message he had written and served me a cup of chai.  I had a video from Bria and Cali singing Happy Birthday and then Lanie called and Samantha and Katelyn sang to me.  What a way to start my Birthday!  We got ready and were on our way to Rachel's Creperie in Lancaster by 10:15.

What a delicious breakfast and their gorgeous outdoor patio.  Ken and I both had their Western Crepe and I had a cup of some of the best chai ever!  What a treat!  From there we drove to Columbia to ride bike on the River Trail, an old railroad line paved trail along the Susquehanna River.  Unfortunately some of the trail was blocked off due to the flooding we had several weeks ago, but you could bypass those areas.  We stopped at the Visitor's Center where you can go down to the river where the high level of the water, the rapid current, and all the muddy water was rather unbelievable.  I am surprised they are allowing boaters on the water.  It appears to be rather dangerous!

Don't you love the old bridge?

The water was so muddy!

Hard to believe how high the water level still is after not having
heavy rain for over a week!


Ken and I really enjoyed our 10 mile ride but it was very hot and humid - in the low 90's.  So thankful we were in the shade a lot of the ride.

A beautiful, well-maintained trail!


Even got to go through a tunnel where we had to "dodge"
the water drops!

From there we went to Little Dippers Ice Cream Shoppe in Mt. Joy where they have Penn State Creamery Ice Cream and they also make their own - Yum!  We were hot and sweaty from the bike ride so we headed home for showers, but stopping 1st to pick up Wilbur on our way.  All is well, but he does need new "shoes" and he has "six"!  Not an inexpensive "need"!

Jamie called when I left the garage and we decided to meet in Lancaster for dinner at an outdoor eatery.  After showers I got birthday serenaded again by Chuck and Melissa.  It was so nice to talk to them, but I had to cut it short because of our time schedule for meeting Jamie's family for dinner.  It was great to spend time with her family.  We all went to Rita's for an Italian Ice before we headed home arriving there at 8.  

I started working on this blog and then got a phone call from Joyce asking if I had some inspiration rocks she could give as gifts.  I will be sending her some this weekend!  So good to talk to her again.

I had phone calls with singing messages from my sister and her husband, John, and also from my mother.  What a special birthday this has been and I thank everyone for their thoughtfulness, including those on Facebook.

By 9:30 I was ready for bed after a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment