Sunday, July 30, 2017

Spent Most of Saturday at a Swim Meet!

Ken and I made a cooked breakfast and were on the way to the invitational swim meet in Manheim by 8:15, about 20 minutes from home!  It was a cloudy morning but on the cooler side with only a slight chance of showers in the forecast.  We actually had long sleeves on a lot of the day!

It was amazing how far away we had to park upon arriving!  There were 21 swim teams there and the swimmers were only eligible by having the best times in their individual and relay events throughout the season.  Cali participated in 8 and under freestyle, backstroke and butterfly and placed 3rd in the County in all 3 events.  Bria swam backstroke where she placed 4th and butterfly with a 7th place finish.  It was quite an accomplishment for both of them.  Cali also swam in a freestyle medley where they were seated 4th, but they won it by 3 seconds. But, here is the unfortunate part - they were disqualified by the officials for one of the girls starting too quickly.  Quite a discussion by the coaches and officials pursued because the officials couldn't agree on which of the 4 girls was "guilty". But, they were still disqualified.  It was a hard call for the girls, parents, and grandparents, but it is part of the learning process.  Bria was in 2 relays and placed 4th in one of them.   I'd say it was a very successful day for the Burkholders!

This is the Ephrata Swim Team swimmers who qualified
for this invitational meet.  What a group!

Relieving some pressure before the swimming began!

A very successful day for Bria and Cali!
So proud of them and all the hard work
they do to continue to improve!

Ken had to leave the meet at 2:15 for his step class and had to miss Bria's last relay.  I stayed until the very end and Jamie and Dane took me home, only getting there around 4:30.  It was a long meet but I really enjoyed it!

Ken was home by 5:15 and by 6:30 we were at Doloris and Fred's for an evening of card playing.  1st we sat outside enjoying the pizza Ken and I had picked up at Little Caesar's (they had already eaten, so Ken and I were the only ones eating) and just "catching up on life".  Then we played 3 games of Haus with the women winning 2 of 3 - YES!  It was a fun time!

We only got home at 11:30 and went right to bed. 

Today, Sunday, we were up by 6:45 and got ready to go to church.  We did some reading before leaving at 8:30.  We sat with members of our life group and then 10 of us went out to breakfast.  We were at the restaurant till 1 and had a wonderful time.  We all said our good-byes to Rick and Joyce (we will miss them so much) who are leaving on Wednesday to their permanent home in Venice, Florida.  It was a sad good-bye time but they will return for about 2 weeks in October and then most of us will have some time together throughout December, January, February, and March - after all, we are snowbirds!

Ken and I were back home around 1:45 and he decided to read and take a nap while I worked on this blog.  I made some sea glass pictures and of course, played some Pop Words.  I am so addicted to that game!

Ken and I took a walk in the evening, such a nice time to stroll downtown Lititz. We watched some TV and were in bed around 10 to do some reading.  It was a very relaxing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment