Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Tuesday and Wednesday - More Cold, Damp Weather!

After doing some stretches and getting ready for the day, Lanie and I chatted about Ken and I having Sam and Katelyn here from Thursday afternoon until Sunday.  It is Bob's birthday on Thursday, so they are going to the movies and out to dinner.  Friday evening they will spend time with their friends.  Ken and I look forward to having Sam and Katelyn with us.

Ken was doing some reading when I left at 10:30 to meet Cindy and John at the Hempfield Sports Complex to play pickleball.  It was a rainy, rather miserable morning.  They charge non-members only $3.00 to play on their 2 courts in the gym and it is available until 3 - quite a bargain.  My only problem there is the lightning, which creates some shadows, but it gets easier the longer you play.  

The 3 of us left there around 1:30 and went to Mick's for lunch.  They have an eatery in Mt. Joy and near Lititz, but I had never eaten there.  They have many good food items to choose from including lots of delicious sounding salads.  I really enjoyed the salad I chose and it was so large I took 1/2 of it home!

I was home by 3 and Ken had taken a walk and done an amazing job of cleaning up and organizing the office.  It looked like a brand new room!  I continued my painting rock project and then he had a bean burger and salad for dinner.  I was still "full" from lunch, so more food was not on my "radar"!

Ken left at 6:15 for Celebrate Recovery and I spent the evening painting more rocks while watching The Voice.  Ken returned at 9:15 and by 10 we were in bed.

Today, Wednesday, was another cold, cloudy day with spotty showers.  Ken had made an appointment to go to Water Street Rescue Mission in Lancaster, a Christian Center, to tour their facility at 10 and I decided I should go along and find out what their organization is all about.  We are looking for another opportunity to serve in the area and thought this could be a strong possibility.  We discovered it is definitely a place where we would love to serve.  It is an amazing complex that covers a city block and offers a place where homeless folks can stay (when they are willing to be a part of their program) and get free meals, medical and dental care, access to a computer lab, take some classes including Christ centered ones, etc.  The Mission serves over 400 free meals daily but again, you must be living at the facility to qualify and all that requires is a willing heart to want to change, especially if you have an addiction.  The residents can leave and return at will, but they must earn enough "credits" each week to remain.  I can't say enough about the quality of this facility and the wonderful care the residents receive.  It is almost totally supported by donations with some help from grants!

Ken and I were back home by 11:30 and after lunch, he went to get new tires on our Civic, which we knew were needed.  Hurst Tire Service was extremely busy so he only returned around 2:45.  I had done some clean-up around the apartment and then did some crafting and reading.  I made salads for dinner and Ken grilled burgers.  

We left at 5 to go to Masonic Village to play Pinochle with mom and dad.  It was so nice to spend the evening with them and they were so excited to be playing cards again.  The men won the 1st and 2nd game, the men the 3rd, and the women were winning the 4th game when we had to call it a night.  I think that means it was a tie for the evening!

We were home by 9:30 and it was off to bed.  This has been a special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment